Sunday, November 7, 2010

Unplugged

Just watched a documentary on a few college students who decided to stop using their computers and cell phone for 3 weeks...
No email
No facebook
No online classes
No Hulu
No google
No texting
Only Books, land line phones, and mail...

They encountered a few school related problems: online tests, online reading assignments, school requirements for papers and class registration.

Inability to get a hold of business and school officials through phone calls,

They were bored a lot

They had to talk to friends face to face, and through phone calls which they found uncomfortable.

I think it was interesting to see how personal communication has changed, I know I am way more comfortable facebooking someone, or sending them a text than talking in person or calling them on the phone. I think "unplugging" would be a good idea to remove computer related distractions and increase personal relationships, but I think that computers are necessary and very helpful in school related issues.

I am going to try and go a week I know, not very long...without using my computer for unnecessary website surfing, hulu watching, facebooking and see how much extra time I have for homework, friends, scrap booking and other fun things!

No comments:

Post a Comment