Thursday, September 30, 2010

ICU

Thankfully I have learned the art of dodging...if you can a dodge a ball you can dodge vomit. I wish I could say the same for my Nurse. Today was my first day working on an Intensive Care Unit at the hospital...my day summed up in one work would be vomit....and lots of it. The ICU is not a happy place, but a great place to learn! Besides all the skillz I learned (that would be boring to list) I learned how vulnerable patients families are while their loved one is in the hospital. I will confess I dont often thik about how the patients family is doing I focus in on the patient. I realized today that the family is often in more emotional distress than the patient, and the single most helpful thing I could do for them is communicate! they just want to know! When nurses and doctors and patients and families dont communicate or communicate poorly, situations escalate to unessesarry levels, people get angry, sad, defensive, stubborn, and nothing gets accomplished. I hope that in my future as a nurse on whatever floor in whatever hospital with whatever patient I will remember this day and be able to be a resource to my patients families.
Highlight of every clinical day...giving shots! its therapeutic...for me :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment