Saturday, October 2, 2010

Late night run

Thanks to my dad for introducing this song to me. Every time I go running at night I think of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE  even when there isnt a full moon, night is an interestingly spooky time to go running and I love it. Tonight i began my run down mountain road at a time later than usual. Mountain is an interesting street...by day its a busy street, people walking, biking, running, driving, skipping... by night mountain turns into a dark street with daunting dim yellow lights, similar to a tunnel one would hold their breath while driving under. I set out on my 6 mile journey radio playing KLOV it was an uneventful run, a few groups of people were out walking and I saw a total of 4 bikes the entire way. Halfway into the second mile I ran past an old man standing by a car parked in the front yard of what I assume to be his house he was hunched over his trunk with one hand holding something in a plastic bag and one hand holding a flashlight shining into that plastic bag, there were three other plastic bags on top of his car as well. I couldnt help but wonder what he was up to...why didnt he go inside his house to look at whatever he was messing with? why was he hiding it in the plastic bag? why did it smell so bad? it smelled really odd as I ran by...so I ran quickly.
On my way back past the house, mile three, the old man had moved to the other side of his car and was just  holding the plastic bag in his hand, and he was just looking at his car. He glanced over at me and I smiled...I was still trying to figure out what he was doing.
Luckily, I ran past him again, mile 4, he had disposed of all but one plastic bag on top of his car.He was again looking into that bag very intensely staring at the contents with his flashlight. He didnt see me coming his back was to me. I still wanted to know why it smelled so bad right by his house. I had run past there three times and nowhere did I smell anything as bad as right by this old man.
Mile 5, I was passing the old man for the last time. I was surprised to see the old man had his cars passenger side door open, and he was shining his flashlight into his car, all the bags were gone and the man was shining his flashlight back and forth through his car. well I thought to myself...I guess I will never know for sure what that man was up to, and there are just too many stories I can make up....So my last mile consisted of me making up a story about what I just saw...was the man burying his dead pets? sorting through trash bags he found? hiding illegal drugs? fixing his car (I decided no, thats too boring)...hiding junk food from his wife? preparing bait for his big fishing trip? freaking out runners dumb enough to be out so late? I guess Iwill never know...all I know is running down mountain is never boring!

1 comment:

  1. It was dead kittens. It's always dead kittens. Or cabbage.

    ReplyDelete